News — Purple Tuesday
The Galleries is at the centre of the local community and we are committed to delivering a positive experience for all visitors. That’s why we are getting involved in Purple Tuesday, the UK’s accessible shopping day.
Purple Tuesday takes place on 13th November and is the UK’s first accessible shopping day, established to recognise the importance and needs of disabled consumers and promote inclusive shopping. Find out more about the campaign here: purpletuesday.org.uk
The Galleries already runs a number of initiatives and we are keen to enhance our offer further. Just some of the work we have done includes:
- An accessibility audit with Disabled Go and Sunderland City Council which can be found here: www.accessable.co.uk/venues/galleries-shopping-centre
- Autism and Dementia training for our staff.
- Dedicated disabled parking.
- Lifts and ramp access to all floors.
- A Changing Places facility alongside disabled toilets.
- Free wheelchair and motorised scooter hire for registered shoppers.