News — Purple Tuesday 2020
The Galleries is at the centre of the local community and we are committed to delivering a positive experience for all visitors. That’s why we are proud to support Purple Tuesday.
Purple Tuesday takes place on Tuesday 3rd November and recognises the importance and needs of disabled consumers and promote inclusive shopping. You can find out more about the campaign here: purpletuesday.org.uk
The Galleries runs a number of initiatives and we are keen to enhance our offer further. Just some of the work we have done includes:
- An accessibility audit with Disabled Go and Sunderland City Council which provides information on access to the Centre including parking, ramps, lifts and toilets. This can be found here: www.accessable.co.uk/venues/galleries-shopping-centre
- Autism and Dementia training for our staff.
- Staff proudly wearing their Purple Tuesday badges.
- Promoting quiet hours in participating stores.
- Dedicated disabled parking.
- Lifts and ramp access to all floors.
- A Changing Places facility alongside disabled toilets.
- Free wheelchair and motorised scooter hire for registered shoppers.
We have also recently undertaken a survey of the site which has highlighted changes that we can make to make the Galleries more accessible and we will be working towards carrying out improvements in the coming months.